There are a few questions that I would like everyone to think about – as they will place how/why you get involved in the adventure.
Q1. How did you get here? There are five basic answers and all of them are miserable awful journeys.Three common routes for people who came from the east looking for gold, and two unusual answers.
- The northern overland route aka “The California Trail”. Across Kansas/Nebraska and Utah, then over one of the Sierra Nevada passes.
- Panama. Steamer/clipper ship to Panama/Nicaragua, then trail through the jungle, then another ship to San Francisco
- The Drake Passage. Clipper ship to Tierra del Fuego, around Cape Horn and up the Chilean and Mexican coasts to San Francisco.
- The southern overland route aka “The Gila Trail”. Either through Texas or Indian territory, through the southern Mexican Territory (New Mexico/Arizona) and then up the central valley.
- The Oregon Trail. There are a few weirdos who traveled to Oregon in the 1830s and 40s, and then got gold fever and headed south in ’49 to ’51.
Q2. How long have you been in Nevada City? Is this your first winter in the high Sierras?
Q3. If you have been here awhile, how did you end up broke and jobless? What enemies have you made in the town?
I have some specific hooks that I want to add, so I may followup with questions.
The campaign will start with a typical “PCs meet in a tavern” scene. The scene will open at the Hotel de Paris – a combination saloon and boarding house, and one of the nicer establishments of its kind.
Anyway … please take a few minutes and let me know your thoughts.